Wednesday, June 3, 2009

MY BOOBS HURT!!!

When I decided that I was going to breast feed, everyone told me how bad it was going to hurt when my milk came in. They also warned me about clogged ducts and how painful it can be if you skip a feeding. No one ever told me about how bad it was going to hurt when I would stop breastfeeding.

Drake decided last week that he was done with my boob. For the last couple weeks I have been fighting him to keep him latched on. He would latch on for a minute and then would scream and squirm and growl at me when I would try to re-latch him. He was hardly getting any milk so I talked to my doctor and she said that it sounded like he was bored. He was sick of staring at my boob and was ready to move on. My doctor said that Drake is a little young to decide this for himself but that is what it sounded like. So I decided to give Drake a bottle and he is guzzling the thing down! I feel like I was starving him before. He has done great on the bottle. I just have to make sure to give him soy formula because I had to go off dairy when I was breastfeeding him also.

I loved breastfeeding, so it was really hard for me to let that go. But I feel so much better now that I know he is getting enough food. And, I have so much more freedom now! The downfall is how painful my boobs are. They are huge, rock hard and so tender. It hurts if Drake even puts his little hand on them. I have iced them, and I heard that you can get some medication to help you dry up also. I should have thought about it more and talked to my doctor to see what the easiest way is to go about drying up. I think the discomfort is just about over, but it definitely has be no fun!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Poor mama! Have you tried heat? Sometimes that can help the milk flow out a little bit and relieve the pressure. You might also try pumping (do you have a pump?) or hand-expressing some milk just enough to take the edge off, but not enough to continue your milk supply. Each day you pump a little less until the milk is finally gone. It's much less painful that way. That is SO GREAT that Drake is okay with the bottle. Sounds like he was ready for the switch. Good luck, hope your boobs feel better soon!

Unknown said...

Poor girl! Thanks for keepin' it real! I hope that you can feel yourself again soon! Sounds like no fun. Paul said that you guys want some climbing partners... I dunno how good we'd be, but we'd be down for trying. Let us know next time you guys want to go.

Unknown said...

Oh, and I meant "Feel LIKE yourself again soon... not feel yourself again soon! LOL!

Lyndsie and Daniel said...

Little Stinker! I hope you are feeling better. We're sure missing you guys while you're in Cali. Wish we were there.