Sunday, February 19, 2012

Our Promise

Yesterday Chris and I were able to dedicate Drake and Sonja at our church. Basically this meant that Chris and I were making a promise to God that we are going to do our best in teaching our kids about God and setting them up on the right path. This was a big moment for our little family and I am so happy and excited that we chose to do it. Basically this whole journey started when I had Drake. I started having this feeling that I needed to get to know God and Jesus more so I could answer Drakes (and our future kids) questions. I don't have a huge background with religion and was a little hesitant about the whole process and didn't really know where to begin. To make a long story short, a friend told me about this church so about a year and a half ago we started going. From the start we just felt at home there and were confident that this was the right place to start our journey. Drake absolutely loved the child care there and as soon as we saw how he was soaking up everything they were teaching him we knew that we were on the right path. When I was pregnant with Sonja I heard about the whole dedication process so Chris and I decided we would dedicate both Drake and Sonja at the same time. The dedication was really nice and low key. There were about 12 other families dedicating their kids with us. We each had a moment to stand up, introduce who we were dedicating, and share a verse we had chosen for each of our kids. Then the pastor prayed over them. At the very end they had a slide show of some pictures of all the kids which was a nice little touch and fun to see. We are so happy we found Elmbrook church. I truly feel like our little family has grown a lot spiritually in the last little while. However we were sad that this big moment for our family had to occur so far away from our families so here are some pics of the big day and the versus we choose for Drake and Sonja. We didn't get any pics of the actual ceremony, we video taped it, so these pics were before and after.


For Drake the verse we choose was:
My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity. Proverbs 3:1-2

And for Sonja:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6


Haha, this picture is awesome because our kids look miserable! This was the end of the service and Drake was starving and Sonja was super tired, but they were actually really good during the service. They were nice and saved the meltdowns for after.

3 comments:

The Wisconsin Wheatleys said...

Sonja looks beautiful! Glad the melt downs were saved for the end :)

Megh said...

What a special day! I love the bible verses you chose.

Michelle said...

Love the scriptures you chose! You are all so beautiful!!