Sunday, December 1, 2013

My Baptism!

I don't usually write a lot about myself but thought this warranted a little post.  A couple weekends ago I decided to get baptized at my Christian church.  I am so happy that I decided to do this and am so thankful for the support that Chris has given me.  As soon as I told him what I was thinking he gave me a big hug and told me he thought that this was a great idea.  I am so lucky to have such a wonderful, loving and supportive husband who challenges and pushes me to continue on my journey with Christ. 

I was baptized when I was 8 into the Mormon church.  My family never went to church but my parents didn't want me to be left out and so they decided to baptize my sister and me.  We never really went to church after that either and honestly I don't remember much about it.  I don't really think that I entirely understood what it all meant. Fast forward to after I had Drake, (almost 5 years ago) I started to have the desire to learn more about Jesus, for myself and to answer the future questions of my child.  I didn't actually start striving for answers and a relationship with Jesus until we moved to Wisconsin (4 years ago).  I started out by going to a bible study and found myself really enjoying it.  Then we found a Christian church that we quickly fell in love with.  Throughout the 3 years of going to that church I heard and saw a lot of people get baptized (young and old).  I always felt extremely emotional witnessing and hearing about it but it wasn't until we moved here, to Indiana that I felt like I should take that step.  We found a Christian church extremely similar to our Wisconsin church fairly quickly after we moved here.  At this church we joined a small group, and I am in a Moms group that also does a bible study. In that bible study we talk quite a bit about paying attention to those little "nudges" that God could be putting on our hearts.  After some reflection I decided that He was pushing me to get baptized.  Our church says that if you have been baptized in any other church by full immersion there is no need to get re-baptized unless you want to.  Chris was baptized when he was 8 and felt like with his background there was no need to get re-baptized.  I, on the other hand felt like I needed to take this step.  Now that I have a better relationship with Jesus, understand what baptism is all about, and am making the decision for myself.  I was also excited that my kids would be there to witness it. Although they are young, I think they will remember the experience (especially Drake).  I am hoping that when they are getting ready to make this step for themselves I can call upon this day and use it as an example.  On the day of my baptism I felt so loved and supported by friends and family, it truly was such a wonderful experience.  Chris and I have only lived here for 5 months, but we have already made great friends who were so excited to support me in my decision.  They gave up their Saturday night to come and witness the service and then come over for some dinner afterwards.  I am so lucky to have such great people in my life and I definitely have God to thank for that.  I also felt very loved from my family who called me on that day to give me words of encouragement and support, even though they couldn't be here.  I am truly grateful for this adventure that Chris and I have been on for the last 4 1/2 years.  It definitely is hard at times but we know that God has a plan for us and right now His plan is for us to be here in Indiana.  We miss our families terribly but are making the most of this experience by meeting amazing people and growing our relationship with Christ.


1 comment:

Megh said...

Congratulations Jenna! That is so awesome, and I'm so glad you've got such a great network of support in Indiana. This residency thing is serious business, we need all the help we can get!