Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Baby Food ... Yum!!!

For those of you who don't know, Chris and I love food and love to cook. Chris is the baker in our family, and I cook everything else. With my passion for cooking and food, I decided to make Drakes baby food. It turns out that it is a lot of fun and pretty easy. And who knew that baby food is so good? We have a magic bullet that works great for pureeing Drakes food and then we freeze the food either in tupperware or in ice cube trays. Chris and I both decided that we would taste everything before Drake tries it and we actually really like all of his food so far. Drake started out with the basic one ingredient foods but now I get to be adventurous. Here are some of Drakes' (and mine) favorites:

Guacamole:
1 cup avocado
1/2 cup chopped, peeled and seeded tomato
2 tbsp lime juice

Jambalaya:
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup peeled chopped carrot
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup long grain white rice
1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
1 bay leaf

saute veges, add rice and chicken stock and bay leaf. Bring to boil, simmer for 20 minutes. Let cool and discard bay leaf and puree.

Chicken and Broccoli
1 tbsp vegetable oil
6 oz chicken
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup sliced white mushrooms
1 cup fresh broccoli florets
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

brown chicken then transfer to a plate. Saute onions,add mushrooms and saute. Add some water, broccoli and cooked chicken - bring to a boil. Cover and simmer till broccoli is tender and chicken is fully cooked. Let cool and puree. (Chris and I love chicken and broccoli over rice, so I made some for us and pureed the rest for Drake and it was delicious - even when it is pureed)

Drake (and I) also loves a combination of fruit pureed together like peach's, pears and banana's, or any combo.

Let me know if you have any other recipes that I can try!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, I had no idea of what a little homemaker you are ;)
But, seriously, that is so cool that you have been making homemade baby food! I think I'd like to try that when we have a little one, but we'll see how it goes.

Lyndsie and Daniel said...

Wow, you are totally ambitious! The only baby food we made for Makai was like pureed pears, peaches and broccoli...Not all at once, though. Those recipes sounds good!